Tuesday 21 January 2014

MY SEARCH FOR A PENNY STOCK





MY SEARCH FOR A PENNY STOCK (my Investing ANECDOTE)

 20/01/14

               Some weeks back, after selling my UBAcap and AFRIPRUD I reviewed my portfolio and I noticed I only have one penny stock which is NEM, so I thought of adding. The definition of penny stock varies from individual to individual but I mostly base mine on stocks below N2. Before beginning the search my criteria was strictly SOUND FUNDAMENTALS. So the filtering began, from cheapest stocks to cheapest with lowest PE, I went on and on and finally I arrived at Prestige, NEM, Niger Insurance, C and I leasing, ROYALEX, Trans EXP, NPFmfb and Law Union Insurance.

 I was done quantitatively so I had to look at my quantitative picks qualitatively. Instantly Niger insurance, Royalex and Law and Union was scrapped, why because I am always skeptical about the insurance sector and if I will ever buy I will only buy Aiico, NEM and Prestige as I have always done in the past. So I was left with NEM, Prestige, C&I NPF and TRANS Exp. I also screened out NEM because it already represents a large portion of my portfolio which also made me screen out Prestige since it is also an insurance stock. So finally I was left with C&I leasing NPFmfb and TRANS EXP.

                I then focused my attention on the remaining three companies.

Candidly I was wowed by the numbers of Trans EXP, nice EPS, very low PE, wonderful ROE but I was taken aback with the Turnover and PAT. Q3 PAT of a company is 50mill!! I remember asking myself if the company is a kiosk!!! That was how Trans Exp was ejected leaving me with NPFmfb and C&I

I moved on to C&I and again I was moved, Nice PE, attractive BV with compelling PBV but the Profit margin of the company reveals the rot in the company, the ROE is not also encouraging so C&I leasing was evicted leaving me with NPFmfb

I looked into NPFmfb, the numbers seem positive in all ramification, good PE, relatively low PE ,moderate ROE positive Profit Margin, BV and PBV also looks good. Above all buying NPFmfb guarantees me a .10k dividend which will represent 12.5% dividend yield as I have made up my mind I will not buy above .80k. So that’s how I found a penny stock for myself and the next thing is to swing into action.

I swung into action and that was when by bubble was busted, for a whole week with enormous communication with my broker I could not get a single unit of NPF despite it staying at .75k for three days. I had to go beyond my price limit yet I could not get. When it got to .85k I left it alone.

 This anecdote is basically a way of me amusing myself but the market is the chief owner of bemusement. I have decided to watch the three aforementioned stocks in 3-6 moths time. I will not be surprised if the KIOSK (Trans Exp) Company outperforms the remaining two. That’s MR MARKET for you.

This is just my anecdote, neither a recommendation nor an aspersion towards any of the above stock.


@1himself

 

 

 

 

               

No comments:

Post a Comment